Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm Not Involved

I’ve decided who(m) I’m voting for. I’m not going to tell you this information, because it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter for a variety of reasons:

1. Nobody should care, and I’m certain nobody does.
2. It’s none of anyone’s business.
3. Obama is going to win New York by about eighty percentage points, so my vote doesn’t mean jack shit anyway.
4. I’m arrogant, but not arrogant enough to start endorsing political candidates on a blog.

One thing saddens me, however – and bear in mind that this is coming from someone with a somewhat limited command of issues that don’t have any direct bearing on my life. What saddens me is that I’m not particularly enthralled by either candidate.

I haven’t caught Obama fever. This has made me wonder whether there’s something wrong with me. There probably is. Most people I know say they’re planning on voting for the guy, which is fine, but I don’t think he’s nearly as “fresh” or “inspiring” as everyone’s claiming. I’m just not seeing it. And having Joe Biden as your running mate is akin to hiring Marty Schottenheimer to coach your NFL team. I mean, I guess the guy’s experienced and capable after serving in Washington for so many years, but there’s nothing about either of them that’s really lighting me up about this ticket.

As for McCain, I’m disappointed. You have to admire the guy for the obvious reasons, but his entire campaign – from the debates to his speeches – has been uncomfortable to watch. I expected better. It’s also stating the obvious to point out that his Sarah Palin choice was a mistake of monumental proportions. Even in this, the year of the smirking liberal smarter-than-us-all commentator-prick, I have to agree with people on this one.

This baseball season, both the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs qualified for postseason play, but the Tampa Bay Rays and Philadelphia Phillies will meet in the World Series. This seems very appropriate to me.

That’s all I have to say about the election.