Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New Project

I haven’t been posting much lately because I’ve started a new project that’s been taking up shitloads of my time. I suppose I’ve “officially” commenced said project this week, but in reality, I’ve spent the last two months spending inordinate amounts of time with my protagonist trying to decide whether he’s actually worth writing about.

He is. You’ll like him, and you’ll like what he’s doing and you’ll want him to do it. Whether he will or not is another story altogether, but that’s the fun of it. I don’t know, and neither does he, but fuck it, right? If he does end up doing what we’ll all want him to do, and I don’t document this shit for posterity, it’ll be a crying fucking shame.

I’m not going into particulars so soon in this process because the world is filled with scumbags and assorted pieces of shit, and since this is an idea that hasn’t been done successfully yet, I’m certain some asshole would read this and steal the concept if I go into any detail. Then again, the fact that I gained access to it at all was a total stroke of blind luck which I doubt could be replicated by anyone for whom the planets and stars aren’t aligned quite as perfectly as they were for me the day my protagonist dialed my number.

Suffice it to say that this will be a work of non-fiction where I, believe it or not, am only a peripheral character in the story. Actually, I’m more than just peripheral – I’m a pretty major part of what’s been going on so far - but I’m still debating what role I’ll give myself in the final narrative because I’m not the one who has so very much to lose or gain here.

In any event, this documentation has become a daily thing with me, and I’m well into the process of collecting material. When all is said and done, we’ll hopefully end up with my second book – an “insider’s” look at something very few people have ever seen in person, and about which still fewer know a damned thing about.

I look forward to sharing it with you all.