Tuesday, January 08, 2008

ByeSpace

I know you all will be tremendously disappointed, but I’m finally dumping my MySpace account once and for all.

I honestly never wanted a MySpace page in the first place. In fact, I didn’t even know what MySpace was until about two years ago – long past the point where everyone else was already up and running with the thing. I created the page for the sole purpose of promoting my book, which hasn’t worked out particularly well because I’ve never really used it properly for that.

In actuality, I haven’t used it for anything. If you’ve messaged me on MySpace, chances are I haven’t replied. In two years, I may have left a half dozen comments, and most of those were left on the same guy’s page. Ironically, the guy in question is a “real world” friend of mine who doesn’t use MySpace much either. I don’t write bulletins, I don’t share photos and I’m not a member of any groups. MySpace is not a part of my life.

Long story short, MySpace has outlived it’s utility, and it’s time to get rid of it and move in some other direction. What that other direction will be, I have no idea, but it won’t be something that’s already been co-opted and spoiled by fifteen year-olds, illiterates or page upon page of photographs of people who think they’re reinventing the wheel in the VIP room at the club.

Newsflash: It’s all been done before, and it’s been done much better than you’re currently doing it.

So, if you’re looking to get in touch with me for whatever reason, use the email address on this site. I should have said that a while ago, since I’ve rarely replied to MySpace messages, but there you go. Thanks for the memories.