Thursday, August 02, 2007

More Promotional Shit

ANNOUNCEMENT

I’ll be doing a book signing on Wednesday, August 15th at 7 PM at the Barnes & Noble on 6th Avenue (at 22nd Street) in Manhattan. I have no idea what I’m going to do at this thing yet. I’ll probably stammer and sputter my way through some awkward preamble, read a few pages from the book until everyone’s eyes glaze over, then take questions – most of which I’ll likely refuse to answer. After that, I’ll sit at a table and try to act like I’m sober while I sign books and make inane small talk while spitting tobacco juice into a coffee cup.

I might end up saying some funny shit, though, so you should try to come.

REVIEW

As far as the book itself goes, I don’t really know what to make of it. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea how it’s going to be received. Some people will love it. Others will give me one star on Amazon and say it’s the worst piece of shit they’ve ever opened. I’d like to think it “is what it is” – a first literary effort by someone with no formal training who was given free reign to do whatever he wanted. The entire process was one long learning experience, from the process of getting a contract to the actual nuts-and-bolts writing of the book.

What you have to understand is that it’s very, very easy to know what could be better about a book written by someone else. It’s a tad harder when you’re the one doing the writing, because you often don’t have the time to distance yourself from the work and read it critically.

Now, I’m not saying the book isn’t good. I think it is. I’d read it, and that’s saying something. It’s just that I’ve noticed some things I’d like to have done differently now that I’ve had some time away from the manuscript, which I’m certain is a problem that’s plagued everyone who’s ever been published.

I don’t think it’s long enough. There was a lot more I could have said, and parts of it, instead of contributing to the “plot,” read like extended, self-indulgent bitch-fests. There’s occasionally too much dialogue. It moves in spots, though, and I suppose that’s what counts.

So, we’ll see how it goes. Maybe it’ll sell and lead to some good shit for me. Maybe it’ll nose dive and I’ll be back to square one. What I do know is that I’ve enjoyed this experience and have several more books in me if anyone’s still interested in buying them in the years to come.