Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Websites

I have some questions.

In a few months -- nor sure how many, exactly -- this site will be rendered obsolete because of the book and all the promotional crap I'm going to have to do for it. I like having a blog, though, and I like writing on it almost daily. I've gotten used to this shit. I think what I'll probably do is get myself a website with my real name on it, and write stuff there the same way I do here.

I don't know if I'll be doing this through HarperCollins or on my own. I'd probably prefer to do it on my own because I like fucking around with templates and changing shit up and writing whatever I want to write. Maybe I'll have two sites -- one for bullshit self-promotion and one to keep letting people know when I'm taking a shit.

Blogger has been good to me. My only problem with them is that this site, at its peak, had some seriously high numbers for a blog-done-from-home -- still does, occasionally -- and I've never been listed on their "Blogs of Note." I know people hate when I mention this -- so I don't anymore -- but you'd figure they'd have at least given me a little nod when I got my book deal. After what happened to me, I'd promote Blogger full time if they asked.

Whatever. Sour grapes. Who gives a shit? I'm not really mad about this. What I'm curious about is what people who know better than me think I should do in the way of getting myself a site when the time comes. I don't know the first thing about any of this. I know I'm supposed to go somewhere like GoDaddy and buy my domain name, but after that, I'm clueless and would like to start learning.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to let me know. Thanks.