Monday, August 21, 2006

Monday

I'll be back to something resembling regular posting tonight. In the meantime, take a look at this, courtesy of Property Grunt, and this, sent to me by John M.

You may need to register to be able to read the Times article, but it's well worth it. In case you're wondering, my reaction -- and the correct one, incidentally -- to the article's subject matter is summarized nicely in the last two paragraphs of the first page.

I don't write about the technical aspects of fighting very often, because I'm not an expert in the field. In my "old age," I've come to abhor fighting -- at least the kind done outside the ring or the cage -- so for me to offer an opinion on the subject is laughable. Bouncers aren't "fighters." However, I've been trained -- and have been smacked around, tapped out, guillotined, triangled, kimura'd and Thai kicked -- by some of the best in the business, so I'll simply state that there's much more to winning a fight than knowing a series of "moves."

Feel free to thumb me in the eye, my friend. But if you miss, and you haven't been working on your conditioning -- or your strength, speed and agility -- it's gonna be a long thirty seconds.

Sleep well. The ambulance will be here momentarily.