Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Frequency

So, I think we're going to change the format around here a little bit, at least until the book is finished. Inspired, somewhat, by this, I've decided to address some of the emails I've been getting lately regarding the quality of the blog.

Yes, I've been devoting the majority of my time at the keyboard to the book, and yes, the blog has suffered as a result. All those silly dialogue posts? Those are actual conversations with people that make it onto the blog about a half hour after they're over. Why? Because dialogue is easy, and it only takes a little while to reproduce a conversation and post it, so up it goes. I'm still semi-dedicated to getting something on the blog regularly, and dialogues, sucky or no, allow me to do this rather quickly.

What you have to understand about Clublife, and the blogs of Melissa Lafsky, Jason Mulgrew, and the rest, is that we're all first time authors. Regardless of what anyone has to say about our relative skill with the written word, we're all trying like gangbusters not to fuck up the opportunity we've been given, which means that our blogs, despite being the springboard to our respective book deals, have become something of an afterthought. Your blog can be a great one when you have the time to devote to it, but that's a luxury no longer available to me, or any of the others.

So, yes, I know. The blog sucks now.

Now, if I really had my way, I'd simply say, "I hope you enjoyed the blog, but I'm sick of writing it, so I'll see you all -- hopefully -- in December when the book comes out."

I like maintaining a blog, though. I really do. As I've said before, I'd still be doing this even if nobody was reading, because I enjoy writing for writing's sake, so I'm going to propose something a little different than what you might be used to on these pages.

At the risk of turning this blog into something that's "just like everyone else's," I'm going to be writing things in more of a diary form than I have in the past. There'll still be stories about the club, because I still work there, and shit still happens, but they're not going to be quite as, well, ambitious as they've been in the past. That stuff has to go into the book, as I'm certain everyone can understand. I'm also going to be updating a bit more frequently, because blogging serves as a nice little warmup to the marathon all-nighters I've been putting in on the book.

So, whatever. We'll see what happens with that.